“Do Not Have Other gods but Me”
God is reminding us here that all power and majesty are His. We are to have reverence and deep respect to only Him. This commandment is not just about false religions and pagan gods. God tells us that ANYTING that we put before God causes us to sin (break a commandment). I believe God put this commandment at the all-important #1 spot, because it would be difficult to obey the other nine without first loving, honoring and serving God first.
When we place our own wants and desires before God’s will for our lives or only worship Him when it is convenient to us, we break this law.
How do I put God first in my life?
- Recognize what else might be taking His place
- Understand that “it” is unworthy of your devotion
- Ask God for His forgiveness
- Restructure so that He is the motive for all you do
- Check everyday to be sure you’re putting God first.
Jesus on the 1st Commandment:
- Jesus set the example of putting God first when he responded to Satan’s temptations by saying, “You shall worship the LORD your God, and HIM ONLY you shall serve.” Matthew 4:10.
- “But seek FIRST HIS KINGDOM and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” Matthew 6:33
- Jesus told his disciples to fear God by saying, “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather FEAR HIM who is able to destroy both soul and body in Hell.” Matthew 10:28 The right type of fear is not terror but a recognition of God’s almighty power.
- When Jesus was asked, “Master, which is the great commandment in the law?” His reply was, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all you mind.” Matthew 22:37-40